ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2015: The seventh sitting of the Punjab Assembly’s ongoing session was adjourned due to lack of quorum after meeting for two hours and 48 minutes on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The sitting started 55 minutes behind the schedule with six lawmakers (2%) present at the start and 60 (16%) at the time of adjournment. The Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader did not attend the sitting. Among parliamentary leaders, only the JI leader was present.
The Provincial Minister for Law & Parliamentary Affairs introduced the Punjab Curriculum and Textbook Board Bill 2015 during the sitting, while the NUR International University Lahore Bill 2015 was not tabled despite being on the agenda.
The quorum was pointed out by a PML lawmaker at 1131 hours but was found to be complete upon counting. However, a PPPP legislator pointed out the quorum once again at 1237 hours which led to the sitting’s adjournment due to presence of less than 25% lawmakers.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in the House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and 48 minutes.
- The sitting started at 0955 hours against the scheduled time of 0900 hours.
- Six members (2%) were present at the start and 60 (16%) at the end of the sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting in the absence of the Speaker.
- The Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader were absent.
- Among parliamentary leaders, only the JI leader was present.
- Two out of eight minority members attended the proceedings.
- No member applied for leave.
- The Punjab Curriculum and Textbook Board Bill 2015 was introduced by the Provincial Minister for Law & Parliamentary Affairs during the sitting.
- The NUR International University Lahore Bill 2015 was not tabled despite being on the agenda.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Twelve out of 43 starred questions were taken up and responded by the relevant departments. In addition, the MPAs raised 21 supplementary questions.
- The House took up three adjournment motions regarding non-functioning of Government Technical Institute Nowshera in Pasrur, Sialkot; lengthy procedure to get approval for repair of faulty machinery at government hospitals and non-construction of any teaching hospital in Lahore for the past 25 years.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised eight points of order that consumed five minutes of the sitting.
- The quorum was pointed out by a PML lawmaker at 1131 hours but was found to be complete upon counting. However, a PPPP legislator pointed out the quorum once again at 1237 hours which led to the sitting’s adjournment till Monday.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to legislators, observers and others.
To download the document, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
77% Lawmakers Remain Inactive during Session ISLAMABAD, March 14, 2020: The Punjab Assembly left 68 percent of its scheduled business unaddressed during its 20th session…