ISLAMABAD, December 2, 2013: Starting one hour and 25 minutes behind schedule, the second sitting of the fifth session of Punjab Assembly was marked by low attendance of MPAs with maximum 143 present at a point of time during the sitting, says Free and Fair Election Network.
A PTI lawmaker Arif Abbasi pointed out quorum at 1900 hours leading to the adjournment of the sitting initially for 20 minutes and subsequently on finding quorum lacking again, the Chair adjourned the proceedings until the next sitting.
One new PML-N Member Shamoona Badshah Qaiserani took oath during the sitting. Moreover, 12 reports were laid before the House, which were referred to the Special Committee No. 1.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- The Punjab Assembly met for three hours and three minutes.
- The sitting started at 1625 hours instead of the scheduled time of 1500 hours. The proceedings started one hour and 25 minutes behind schedule.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was there for one hour and five minutes.
- Only the parliamentary leader of PPPP attended the sitting.
- A total of 73 MPAs were present at the outset of the sitting while 39 were there at the adjournment. A maximum of 143 Members were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- Six minority Members were present.
- The House availed 30 minutes break for prayers
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eleven out of 33 questions appearing on the agenda were taken up and responded to by the relevant ministry. Additionally, 14 supplementary questions were also asked.
A total of 12 reports were laid before the House, which were referred to the Special Committee No. 1 for deliberation. The Committee was given one-year time period to present its report.
- The House took up the Calling Attention Notice of the PML-N MPA Mian Tariq Mehmood on the killing of six persons in Gujrat by terrorists.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two Points of Order were raised during the sitting which consumed five minutes. None of the Points of Order raised attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts during the sitting.
- Orders of the Day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- The quorum was visibly lacking at various stages of the sitting. A PTI MPA Arif Abbasi pointed out quorum at 1900 hours that forced the Speaker to order for bells to be rung for 05 minutes. After the headcount, the Speaker adjourned the sitting for 20 minutes and later on the sitting was adjourned until the next day.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization, a member organization of FAFEN
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 13, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left most of its agenda unaddressed on Friday due to confrontation between treasury and…
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2021: The Punjab Assembly deferred six private members’ resolutions and three legislative proposals on Thursday, observes Fee and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, August 9, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left its entire agenda unaddressed on Monday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes…