ISLAMABAD, December 9, 2013: The Punjab Assembly witnessed the passage of two bills, including Punjab Local Government (Amendment) Bill 2013 and Provincial Employees Social Security (Amendment) Bill 2013, during the seventh sitting of 5th session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the proceedings.
Two Calling Attention Notices regarding dacoity incidents in Manga Mandi Lahore and firing incidents in Sargodha resulting in death of one person and injuries to three others were taken up.
Sixty-five Members were present at the outset while 94 at the adjournment of sitting. A maximum of 115 Members were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
Opposition staged a walkout from the proceedings for 13 minutes for not considering their proposed amendments in the Punjab Local Government (Amendment) Bill, 2013.
The Speaker did not attend the sitting while his Deputy presided over the entire proceedings. The Chief Minister was absent while the Leader of Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 43 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the Parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- The Punjab Assembly met for four hours and 48 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1643 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours, witnessing a delay of an hour and 43 minutes.
- Sixty-five Members were present at the outset while 94 at the adjournment of sitting. A maximum of 115 Members were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire proceedings.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and 43 minutes.
- The Parliamentary leader of JI attended the sitting.
- Four Minority Members were present.
- The House passed the Punjab Local Government (Amendment) Bill 2013 and Provincial Employees Social Security (Amendment) Bill 2013. The bills were moved by the Law Minister.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Ten out of 14 Starred Questions (requiring oral answers) on the agenda, related to Agriculture Department were taken up. Relevant minister responded to these questions. Members asked 25 Supplementary questions, additionally.
- Two Calling Attention Notices were taken up. These were tabled by the Members of PTI and PML-N and related to dacoity incidents in Manga Mandi Lahore and firing incidents in Sargodha resulting in death of one person and injuries to three others.
Order and Institutionalization
- MPAs raised five Points of Order which consumed five minutes of the sitting.
- Opposition staged a 13-minute walkout for not considering their amendments proposed in the Punjab Local Government (Amendment) Bill, 2013.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization, a member organization of FAFEN
Majority (54 percent) demand immediate convening of provincial assemblies for participatory decision-making on pandemic ISLAMABAD, May 12, 2020: A majority of the provincial legislators stressed…
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…