ISLAMABAD, August 9, 2017: The Senate held a discussion on a Motion under Rule 218 regarding corruption and accountability on Wednesday during the first sitting of the session requisitioned by the opposition, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
The newly-elected PML-N lawmaker from Balochistan took oath of the membership.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of first sitting of 265th session:
- The Senate met for five hours and six minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 13 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1535 hours against its scheduled time of 1530 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for three hours and 27 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for three hours and six minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, MQM, PML, ANP, JI and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Thirty-four members (33% of the total membership) were present at the outset and 14 (13%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- Chairman of the Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges presented three reports of the committee on as many questions of breach of privilege of the House and its member.
- Chairperson of the Standing Committee on Federal Education and Professional Training presented the report of the committee on the subject matter of the Calling Attention Notice moved by Senator Ayesha Raza Farooq regarding the equivalence certificates issued to O and A level students by the Inter Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC).
- The House granted 30-day extension to the Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization for presentation of its report on the Corporate Rehabilitation Bill, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House held a discussion on a Motion under Rule 218 regarding measures to combat corruption with focus on off-shore companies, across the board accountability and a new accountability mechanism. As many as 25 lawmakers participated in the discussion consuming four hours and 26 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers did not raise any point of order.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 5, 2021: The Senate transacted its entre agenda on Monday and adopted a private member’s resolution demanding the government to provide free…
ISLAMABAD, March 12, 2021: The Senate on Friday elected its Chairman and Deputy Chairman during first day of the new parliamentary year, while 48 Senators…
ISLAMABAD, March 11, 2021: The Senate completed its 18th Parliamentary Year on Thursday after the conclusion of 308th session, observes Free and Fair Election Network…