ISLAMABAD, July 20, 2016: The Senate adopted a resolution to express solidarity with the democratic government of Turkey in an aftermath of attempted coup during 3rd sitting of its ongoing 250th session on Wednesday, reports Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House business:
- The Senate met for two hours and 28 minutes.
- The sitting started one minute late against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman chaired the sitting for an hour and 20 minutes while the rest of the proceeding was presided over by the Deputy Chairman.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 67 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 88 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of ANP, MQM, PML-N and NP attended the sitting.
- Eighteen members (17% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 19 members (18%) at the end of the sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- Tabled by a PTI lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution to show commitment and solidarity with democratic institutions of Turkey.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Interior and Narcotics Control, a PML-N lawmaker presented reports on the Islamabad Capital Territory Local Government (Amendment) Bill, 2016 and the National Counter Terrorism Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
- Minister for Law presented the Third Quarterly Report for the year 2015-2016 of the Central Board of Directors of the State Bank of Pakistan on the state of the Economy.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House passed two motions under Rule 194 (1) to extend the presentation period of two reports till August 30, 2016 instead of September 30, 2016 which were regarding the Prohibition of Corporal Punishment Bill, 2016 and starred question regarding PSDP Projects for Construction and Maintenance of Dams.
- Another motion under Rule 194 (1) to extend the presentation period of report about flaws in the design of runways of new Islamabad Airport was passed. It sought extension for a period of twenty working days with effect from July 22, 2016.
- A motion under Rule 196 (1) was disposed of by the Chair due to consideration of same issue in the lower house. The motion was about considering and adopting special report on the issue pertaining to Salaries and Allowances of the Members of Election Commission of Pakistan.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) about non-functioning of colleges of Medical Lab Technology due to lack of teachers, equipment and basic facilities.
- Another CAN was deferred on the request of mover which was regarding reported disparity between the quota of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in total power generated in the country and actual supply of electricity.
- An adjournment motion (AM) to address the water issues between India and Pakistan was withdrawn by the mover after Chair’s remarks to take this matter in Committee of the Whole.
- Another AM regarding disconnection of gas to Pakistan Steel Mills and non-payment of salaries and gratuity to its employees was dropped due to absence of mover.
- The Chair deferred an AM about salient features of agreement between Pakistan and China on the written request of the mover.
- The House took 16 out of 25 starred questions appearing on the agenda. In addition, the lawmakers also asked 39 supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Fourteen Points of Public Importance consumed 48 minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Senate Discusses Economic Situation, Gilgit-Baltistan Elections Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, January 18, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed economic situation of the country and recently held…
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…