ISLAMABAD, May 29, 2017: The House of Federation began discussion on the Finance Bill 2017 and transacted the entire business appearing on the Orders of the Day on Monday, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of second sitting of 263rd session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 42 minutes.
- The sitting started two minutes behind the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The sitting remained suspended for an hour and one minute due to prayer break and the absence of a representative of Finance Ministry.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and four minutes while the Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for an hour and nine minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PTI, PkMAP, PML-N, MQM, JUI-F and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Twelve members (12% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 17 (16%) at the end of sitting.
- One minority Senator also attended the sitting.
- Chairperson, Standing Committee on National Health Services and Regulations presented report of the committee on Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- Chairperson of the Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization presented committee report on a Point of Public Importance raised by a MQM Senator.
- The House adopted a Special Committee report on the circular debt of power sector with a majority vote.
- The Minister for Planning, Development and Reforms made a statement on the Provincial allocations for PSDP in the Financial Year 2016-17.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five Senators – PTI (2), PPPP, PML-N (one each) and an Independent lawmaker – participated in the Budget 2017-18 discussion consuming an hour and five minutes.
- The House dropped a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding Afghanistan related peace conference held in Russia due to absence of the mover. While, another CAN appearing on the agenda remained unaddressed.
- The Chair disposed of three adjournment motions appearing of the List of Business.
Order and Institutionalization
- A Senator spoke on a Point of Order consuming a minute of the proceedings.
- Replying to a Point of Order, the Finance Minister talked about the FATA, GB and AJK’s share from gross divisible pool by the provinces for thirteen minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 19, 2021: The Senate passed four government bills on Friday amid opposition’s protest, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in the…
ISLAMABAD, November 16, 2021: The Senate transacted 93 percent agenda on Tuesday and was adjourned amid lack of quorum and opposition’s walkout from the proceedings, observes…
ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2021: The Senate adopted four resolutions and referred seven private members’ bills to the relevant committees for consideration, observes Free and Fair Election…