ISLAMABAD, August 28, 2018: The Senate on Tuesday took up its entire agenda and also condemned circulation of blasphemous content about religious personalities on internet, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during the second sitting of 281st session:
- The Senate met for four hours and six minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the House was present for three hours and 38 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for an hour and 53 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PTI, PkMAP, PML-F, ANP, NP and MQM attended the sitting.
- Fourteen members (13% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 12 (11%) at the end of sitting.
- Three minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Minister for Finance laid the Third Quarterly Report for the year 2017-2018 of the Board of Directors of the State Bank of Pakistan on the state of Pakistan’s Economy.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House passed a motion under Rule 194 (1) to extend the time for presentation of report on the issue of water shortage in the country for twenty working days.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices about bouncing of cheques of the contractors working on different projects of CPEC and delay in the establishment of the Federal Mental Health Authority.
- The House debated an adjournment motion regarding the display of abusive and blasphemous material against the Holy Prophet (PBUH) on the Internet. Seventeen lawmakers spoke on it for 81 minutes and condemned this act while Minister for Foreign Affairs in his 14 minutes speech informed the House about government’s strategy to take up the issue at international forums.
- The House took up 11 out of 44 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda. In addition, lawmakers asked 26 supplementary questions
Order and Institutionalization
- Six lawmakers spoke on points of order for 32 minutes and half of the issues raised through this intervention were responded to by Minister for Foreign Affairs.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on August 29, 2018 (Wednesday) at 1100 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…
ISLAMABAD, January 11, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed the Presidential Ordinance related to the Sindh and Balochistan islands and rights guaranteed to the provinces…