ISLAMABAD, May 10, 2016: The Senate debated an adjournment motion about the mismanagement of affairs in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) during second sitting its 248th session on Tuesday, says Free and Fair Election Network.
Other agenda items including two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) and consideration of admissibility of three adjournment motions were dropped due to non-presence of movers who boycotted sitting against the absence of Prime Minister from the House.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for two hours and 36 minutes. .
- The sitting started at 1503 hours against its scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting and the Opposition Leader was present for 71 minutes.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- 22 (21%) senators were present at the start and 13 (12%) at the time of adjournment.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML-N, BNP-M, MQM, PTI, ANP, JI, JUI-F and PML were present.
- One minority member was present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House discussed an adjournment motion regarding the mismanagement of affairs in PCB. Six lawmakers and Minister for Inter-Provincial Coordination spoke on it for 51 minutes.
- The House took 20 out of 36 starred questions appearing on the agenda. In addition, the lawmakers also asked 40 supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Thirteen Points of Order consumed 33 minutes of the sitting.
- The Opposition boycotted the sitting at 1614 hours against the absence of Prime Minister and did not return till adjournment of sitting at 1739 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 5, 2021: The Senate transacted its entre agenda on Monday and adopted a private member’s resolution demanding the government to provide free…
ISLAMABAD, March 12, 2021: The Senate on Friday elected its Chairman and Deputy Chairman during first day of the new parliamentary year, while 48 Senators…
ISLAMABAD, March 11, 2021: The Senate completed its 18th Parliamentary Year on Thursday after the conclusion of 308th session, observes Free and Fair Election Network…