ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2018: The Senate on Monday discussed the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill 2018 and a report on the Circular Debt, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of third sitting of 282nd session:
- The Senate met for three hours and nine minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and three minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, NP, PML-F, PTI and PML-N attended the sitting.
- Fifteen members (14% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 19 (18%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators also attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five lawmakers participated in debate on the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill, 2018 consuming 58 minutes of the proceedings.
- Convener Special Committee and Leader of the House presented report of the committee on Circular Debt. The Convener and seven lawmakers debated this report for 24 minutes while the House decided to continue further debate on it.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding problems being faced by the Pakistanis living in Kuwait in connection with getting visas. It was responded to by the Minister for Human Rights.
- State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs responded to another CAN which was regarding recent report of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) declaring Balochistan as the poorest province in the world.
- The House passed two motions under Rule 194 (1) to grant extension of 60 working days to Special Committee on Water Scarcity for presentation of its as many reports.
- Nine lawmakers spoke on as many matters of public importance for 58 minutes. A matter was responded to by the Minister for Information and Broadcasting who spoke for eight minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- A lawmaker spoke on a point of order for one minute.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on September 25, 2018 (Tuesday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The Senate on Thursday discussed the recent bomb attack on a religious school in Peshawar while leaving half of…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The Senate passed three private members’ bills on Monday and adopted a resolution to condemn comments of French President Emmanuel Macron…
ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed almost one third of the proceedings in points of public…