ISLAMABAD, December 28, 2015: The Senate adopted a resolution and passed one bill amid low attendance of lawmakers during 9th sitting of its ongoing 122nd session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
14(14%) legislators were present at the start and 17 (17%) at the time of adjournment of the sitting.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for 3 hours and 50 minutes.
- The sitting started at its scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was also present.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Opposition Leader attended the sitting for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- 14 (14%) senators were present at the start and 17 (17%) at the time of adjournment.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, BNP-M, NP, ANP, PML-N and JI were present.
- One minority members was present.
- Six members applied for leave.
- The House unanimously passed the Islamabad Compulsory Vaccination and Protection of Health Workers Bill, 2015.
- The House adopted a resolution about proper financial assistance as well care to families of martyrs of terrorism incidents.
- The remaining four resolutions regarding establishing new residential sectors in Islamabad, declaring Islamabad as model city, discontinuing VIP flight on eve of Hajj and exploring new foreign markets for Pakistani goods were deferred by the House.
- The House deferred introduction of two bills including the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2015 (Omission of Article 182) and the Islamabad Compulsory Vaccination and Protection of Health Workers Bill, 2015 due to absence of mover.
- The House approved amendments in rules 43, 65, 86 and 158 and insertion of new rules 172C, 172D, 172E and 212A in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012.
- The House witnessed presentation of a report of Senate Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges about irresponsible behavior of Chairman, CDA relating to the settlement of Christian Community in Kachi Abadi of Capital. Another report of Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization, on the Money Bill further to amend the Income Tax Ordinance, 2001 was also presented before the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House discussed a motion under Rule 218 about human trafficking issue. 14 lawmakers spoke on it for 73 minutes.
- Another motion regarding decrease in exports of the country was not taken up due to absence of mover.
- Two lawmakers spoke for 15 minutes on a motion about the procedure for appointment of Chairman and Members of the Federal Service Tribunal (FST).
- The House debated an adjournment motion about decision of the sponsors of Tuwairqi Steel Mills Limited (TSML) to dismantle the project because of the dispute on imposition of GIDC by the Federal Government. Seven lawmakers spoke on it for 29 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The members spoke on points of public importance consuming two minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
To download the factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 5, 2021: The Senate transacted its entre agenda on Monday and adopted a private member’s resolution demanding the government to provide free…
ISLAMABAD, March 12, 2021: The Senate on Friday elected its Chairman and Deputy Chairman during first day of the new parliamentary year, while 48 Senators…
ISLAMABAD, March 11, 2021: The Senate completed its 18th Parliamentary Year on Thursday after the conclusion of 308th session, observes Free and Fair Election Network…