ISLAMABAD, January 10, 2017: The entire opposition staged a walkout in the House of Federation after terming the reply of Minister for Interior unsatisfactory over the disappearance of rights activists, says Free and Fair Election Network on Tuesday.
The opposition lawmakers started their protest at 1723 hours and did not return to the House till adjournment of the sitting.
Following are key observations of the House during 2nd sitting of Senate’s 258th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 24 minutes.
- The sitting started one minute behind the scheduled time of 1430 hours.
- The House had a prayer break of 18 minutes.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for two hours and 15 minutes while rest of the proceedings were chaired by a member of Panel of Presiding Officers.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for three hours and four minutes while the Leader of the Opposition remained present for an hour and 53 minutes.
- Prime Minister and Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, ANP, PTI, BNP-M, MQM, PkMAP, PML-N, PML-F, JUI-F, JI and NP attended the proceedings.
- Fourteen members (13% of the total membership -104) were present at the outset and 12 (11%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- The House witnessed introduction of three bills, including the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology Bill, 2016; the Pakistan National Accreditation Council Bill, 2016 and the COMSATS University Islamabad Bill, 2017. All the bills were referred to the relevant committees for deliberations.
- Minister for Law and Justice presented the National Accountability (Amendment) Ordinance, 2017.
- Chairman, Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges presented report on irresponsible, insulting and threatening behaviour of police officials with JUI-F lawmaker, who were deputed near Chashma Hydropower check post of Kundian and DPO, Mianwali.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding non-provision of nutrition and health services to children under five years of age and increase in child mortality rate.
- Another CAN was dropped due to the absence of mover which was regarding possible export of wheat and flour to its reported potential of 1.8 million tons.
- Thirteen out of 48 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up. In addition, lawmakers asked 27 Supplementary Questions.
- Two adjournment motions (AMs) on the agenda were rejected for being in contravention with the rules while one AM was deferred on the request of the mover.
- Federal Minister for Interior spoke for 45 minutes on law and order situation, focusing on disappearance of rights activists. The Leader of the Opposition also spoke on it for five minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House discussed 16 Points of Public Importance for 36 minutes.
- A PkMAP lawmaker staged a walkout for one minute over unsatisfactory reply to his Supplementary Questions related to Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources.
- The entire opposition staged a walkout at 1723 hours after terming the reply of Minister for Interior unsatisfactory on the disappearance of rights activists. They did not return to the House till the adjournment of sitting at 1755 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Wednesday and rejected the Anti-Terrorism (Third Amendment) Bill, 2020 with majority vote, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 15, 2020: The Senate referred two FATF-related bills to the relevant committees and debated the motorway gang-rape incident, observes Free and Fair Election…