ISLAMABAD, February 27, 2014: The opposition parties walked out of the Senate after question hour consecutively for the second day on Thursday morning during third sitting of the 102nd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the proceedings.
Meeting for an hour and 15 minutes, the House left its entire agenda unaddressed except starred questions. The House took up ten of the 20 starred questions (requiring oral as well as written replies). Members asked 31 supplementary questions as well.
The members belonging to opposition parties walked out of the House against non-payment of salaries to Pakistan Steel Mills employees and removal of contractual employees. The members did not return to the House till adjournment. Following the walkout, a PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum and the Chair ordered the bells to be rung for few minutes. On finding the quorum incomplete, the sitting was adjourned till Friday morning (tomorrow).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for an hour and 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1114 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours with a delay of 44 minutes.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was not present.
- Fourteen senators were present at the outset and the same number at the adjournment while a maximum of 39 members were there at one point during the proceedings.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, ANP and NP attended the sitting.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Four members applied for leave.
- The Leader of the House and the Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up ten of the 20 starred questions (requiring oral as well as written replies). Members asked 31 supplementary questions as well.
Order and Institutionalization
- A member spoke on a point of order consuming three minutes of the proceedings.
- The members belonging to opposition parties walked out of the House against non-payment of salaries to Pakistan Steel Mills employees and removal of contractual employees. The members did not return till adjournment.
- Following the walkout, a PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum and the Chair ordered the bells to be rung for few minutes. However, the quorum was found incomplete on recount and the sitting was adjourned till tomorrow (Friday) morning.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on senators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization; a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The Senate took up its entire agenda on Friday and adopted a supplementary resolution to condemn violation of human rights in…
ISLAMABAD, May 14, 2020: The requisitioned Session of Senate was prorogued on Thursday after two days debate on measures to tackle COVID-19, observes the Free…
ISLAMABAD, May 12, 2020: The Senate clubbed five motions to discuss situation arising out of the coronavirus pandemic in Pakistan, the government’s response and its…