ISLAMABAD, December 20, 2016: The Senate took up its entire agenda appearing on Orders of the Day on Tuesday during second sitting of 257th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House business:
- The Senate met for two hours and 47 minutes.
- The sitting started two minutes behind the scheduled time of 1430 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for an hour and 39 minutes while rest of the proceedings was chaired by the Deputy Chairman.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 10 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 67 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of JUI-F, PkMAP, BNP-M, PPPP, PML-F, MQM and PML-N attended the sitting.
- Sixteen members (15% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 29 (28%) at end of the sitting.
- One minority Senator attended the sitting.
- The House passed the Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils (Amendment) Bill, 2016 while the Pakistan Commissions of Inquiry Bill, 2016 was introduced and referred to the relevant Standing Committee for further deliberations.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs). The first notice was about 3,000 posts lying vacant in Federal Government Educational Institutions while the other CAN was about the requirements for NGOs and foreign delegates to get NOC for visiting/working in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- The House discussed a motion regarding non-implementation of 5% minorities’ quota by the Evacuee Trust Property Board.
- The Chair admitted an adjournment motion for debate regarding the Commission’s report on terror attack at Civil Hospital Quetta on August 8, 2016.
- Two other Adjournment Motions were not admitted as they were not in contravention with Rule 87 of Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business 2012.
- Ten out 43 starred questions appearing on the agenda were taken up.
- The Chairman asked the government to explain its position and relevant law for placing five regulatory bodies under control of ministries.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House discussed seventeen Points of Public Importance.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The Senate passed four private members' bills and referred 12 bills to the relevant committees after their introduction in the House,…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and Fair Election Network…
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 16, 2021: The Senate passed three government bills on Friday which were considered in the House as supplementary business amid protest…