ISLAMABAD, August 19, 2020: The Senate while transacting the entire regular agenda passed two government bills, which were part of supplementary business on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the fourth sitting of 302nd session:
- The Senate met for an hour and 22 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1729 hours against the scheduled time of 1700 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire proceedings.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 26 lawmakers (25%) were present at the outset and 31 (30%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PPPP, MQM, ANP, JI and PTI attended the sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers were present.
- Moved by the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, the House passed the Limited Liability Partnership (Amendment) Bill, 2020 and the Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2020 after presentation of reports by the relevant Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs on them. The amendments proposed by the PPPP lawmakers were also passed as the government did not oppose them.
- Chairman Functional Committee on Human Rights presented report of the Committee on a Point of Public Importance regarding the incident of brutal killing of an eight year girl Zehra Shah in Rawalpindi.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Information and Broadcasting presented report of the Committee on a Point of Public Importance regarding removal of 38 employees from Press Council of Pakistan.
- The House passed 13 motions under Rule 194 (1) granting 60-day extension to seven Standing Committees for presentations of their reports on matters referred to them.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House passed a motion under Rule 263 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012 that the requirement of Rule 41 of the said Rules regarding question hour be dispensed with for August 19, 2020.
- Six lawmakers including the Leader of the House spoke on points of public importance for 40 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on August 21, 2020 (Friday) at 1030 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Sindh Assembly transacted entire agenda and referred two bills to the relevant committee for deliberation, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and Fair Election Network…