ISLAMABAD, December 31, 2014: Starting 30 minutes behind the schedule, the eighth sitting of the Senate’s 109th session on Wednesday witnessed conclusion of debate on terrorist attack in Peshawar, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily factsheet.
The Prime Minister concluded discussion during his 22-minute speech while three senators expressed their views for 47 minutes.
State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs introduced the Anti-Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill, 2014 which was referred to the relevant committee for further deliberations.
Ten members (10%) were present at the start and 29 (28%) at the end of the sitting that was presided over by the Chairman. The Leader of the House, the Opposition Leader and the parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PkMAP, PML-N and NP attended the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for two hours and 40 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1530 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours, witnessing a delay of 30 minutes.
- The House held a prayer break for 23 minutes.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Opposition Leader was present for an hour and 30 minutes.
- The Prime Minister attended the sitting for 34 minutes
- Ten members (10%) were present at the start and 29 (28%) at the sitting’s adjournment.
- A maximum of 46 senators (44%) were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PkMAP, PML-N and NP attended the sitting.
- Three minority members were present.
- Five members applied for leave.
- State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs introduced the Anti-Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill, 2014 which was referred to the relevant committee for further deliberations.
- Chairman, Standing Committee on Science and Technology Professor Sajid Mir presented report of the Committee for the period from June, 2012 to June, 2014
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Prime Minister concluded discussion on attack at Army Public School (APS) Peshawar during his 22-minute speech while three Senators- one each of PPPP, PML-N and JUI-F- expressed their views for 47 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Sixteen points of order consumed 39 minutes of the proceedings’ time.
- ANP Senator pointed the quorum at 1551 hours but it was found complete on counting.
- ANP Senator walked out of the house for four minutes against the absence of Minister for Water and Power from the meetings of Standing Committee. PPPP and PML lawmakers also accompanied the protesting Senator.
- MQM Senator walked out against the alleged killing of his party workers.
To download the document, click here
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted
ISLAMABAD, June 24, 2020: The Senate Session was prorogued on Wednesday after adopting recommendations on the Finance Bill, 2020 as reported by the Standing Committee…
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2020: The Senate consumed major part of its proceedings in debate on the Finance Bill 2020, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2020: The Senate continued debate on a motion to make recommendations to the National Assembly on Finance Bill, 2020, observes Free and…