ISLAMABAD, August 23, 2013: The Civil Servants (Amendment) Ordinance was introduced in the fifth sitting of the Senate’s 97th session on Friday.
Additionally, a Special Committee presented a report on mass transport system for Islamabad. A discussion on the presidential address to the parliament’s joint session on June 10, 2013 was postponed till Tuesday.
The Deputy Chairman presided over the sitting in the presence of both the Leader of the House and the Leader of the Opposition. The parliamentary leaders of JUIF and BNPA were not present.
Six out of 38 starred questions were taken up. Additionally, 11 supplementary questions were asked.
The PPPP Senators, backed by all opposition parties, staged a 15-minute walkout as one of its Senators did not receive written reply to his question from the relevant ministry.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for an hour and 30 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1058 hours witnessing a 58-minute delay against the scheduled start time of 1000 hours.
- There were six Senators present at the start of the proceedings, 18 at the end and a maximum 36 Members at a point during the sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the sitting.
- Both the Leader of the House and the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting.
- The relevant minister for the Question Hour was present.
- Parliamentary leaders of ANP, PML, PMLN, PPPP and MQM attended the sitting while those of JUIF and BNPA and were not present.
- One Member applied for leave.
- A single minority Member attended the sitting.
- The Civil Servants (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013 was introduced.
Representation and Responsiveness
· There were 38 Starred Questions on the agenda; six were taken up and answered on the floor. Additionally, 11 supplementary questions were asked.
- On a motion moved by a PML Senator, a report of the Special Committee on mass transport system for Islamabad was laid before the House.
- A discussion on the presidential address to the parliament’s joint session on June 10, 2013 was put off till Tuesday.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on four Points of Order consuming 10 minutes.
- The PPPP Senators along with the opposition parties staged a 15-minute walkout on not receiving written reply to a PPPP Senator’s question.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Senators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI); a member organization of FAFEN
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 5, 2021: The Senate transacted its entre agenda on Monday and adopted a private member’s resolution demanding the government to provide free…
ISLAMABAD, March 12, 2021: The Senate on Friday elected its Chairman and Deputy Chairman during first day of the new parliamentary year, while 48 Senators…
ISLAMABAD, March 11, 2021: The Senate completed its 18th Parliamentary Year on Thursday after the conclusion of 308th session, observes Free and Fair Election Network…