ISLAMABAD, January 19, 2017: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Thursday, while the proceedings remained suspended for some time due to the absence of State Minister for Interior observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings of 9th sitting of 258th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 39 minutes.
- The sitting started 12 minutes behind the schedule.
- The House had a prayer break of 16 minutes.
- The sitting remained suspended for eight minutes due to the absence of State Minister for Interior who had to respond to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN).
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for two hours and nine minutes while the rest of proceedings were chaired by the Deputy Chairman.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for three hours and 31 minutes, while the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the proceedings at all.
- The Prime Minister was not present.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PkMAP, BNP-M, PML, JUI-F and PML-F attended the proceedings.
- Twenty-three members (22% of the total membership -104) were present at the outset and 17 (16%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Minister for Parliamentary Affairs introduced the Corporate Rehabilitation Bill, 2017 for rehabilitation and re-organization of distressed corporate entities. It was referred to the relevant committee for further deliberations.
- On behalf of the Chairman, Standing Committee on Interior and Narcotics Control, an MQM lawmaker presented report on the Prohibition of Corporal Punishment Bill, 2016.
- Chairperson, Standing Committee on Federal Education and Professional Training presented report on the Federal Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
- Chairman, Standing Committee on Information Technology and Telecommunications presented a special report on the problems faced by the USF company in the execution of its projects in Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and FATA.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House passed two motions under Rule 194 (1) to extend the presentation period of reports on the Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University Islamabad (Amendment) Bill, 2016 and subject matter of starred Questions regarding the PAS and PSP officers in BPS-20 and 21 belonging to the Province of Balochistan and the policy for their posting in the country and abroad.
- The House took up a CAN about renting out of an inn “Saray-i-Awam” located in sector G-7, Islamabad to the National Accountability Bureau by the Capital Development Authority. Another notice regarding high fee being charged by the private educational institutions in Islamabad was deferred on the mover’s request.
- Under Rule 157 (2), the House discussed the Annual Report of the National Commission on the Status of Women for the year 2014. Fifteen lawmakers spoke on it for an hour and 47 minutes.
- Thirteen out of 28 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up. In addition, lawmakers asked 37 Supplementary Questions.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 21, 2021: The Senate passed two government bills on Monday and adopted a condolence resolution on the demise of former Senator Usman Khan…
ISLAMABAD, June 18, 2021: The Senate continued debate on Finance Bill, 2021 and referred four government bills to the relevant committees for further consideration, observes…
ISLAMABAD, June 15, 2021: The Senate continued debate on Finance Bill, 2021 and witnessed introduction of six government bills, which were referred to the relevant…