ISLAMABAD, September 12, 2017: The Senate on Tuesday took up the entire regular agenda appearing on the Orders of the Day and passed the Corporate Rehabilitation Bill, 2017, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 2nd sitting of 267th session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 40 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1504 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for an hour and 29 minutes while the rests of the proceedings were chaired by the Deputy Chairman.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 29 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 45 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of MQM, PkMAP, PPPP, BNP-M and PML-F attended the sitting. .
- Fourteen (13% of the total membership – 104) lawmakers were present at the start and 13 (12%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Two minority legislators attended the proceedings.
- The House passed the Corporate Rehabilitation Bill, 2017 after clause by clause reading.
- Convener, Special Committee on Marginalized Segments of Society presented 6th Interim report of the Committee.
- Minister for Law and Justice laid before the House an authenticated copy of the Address of the President of Pakistan made under Article 56 (3) of the Constitution before both Houses assembled together on June 1, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Chair admitted an adjournment motion (AM) to discuss the genocide of Rohingya Muslims and the forced exile from their homeland at the hands of Buddhist extremist and Burmese forces.
- Another AM to discuss the barbaric attack at Parachinar was not admitted for being in contravention with rules.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) about multiple issues of school teachers working on deputation, daily wages and on project basis in the Federal Government Schools. It was responded to by Minister for Capital Administration and Development Division.
- Another CAN was dropped due to absence of its mover which was about imposition of civil monetary penalties of 629.625 million dollars on HBL by the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS).
- Eighteen out of 25 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up. In addition, lawmakers also asked 21 Supplementary Questions.
- Two lawmakers discussed a motion of thanks about Presidential address for 23 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- PkMAP lawmakers walked out of the House for one minute against unsatisfactory reply to a question by State Minister for Information Technology.
- Eleven Points of Public Importance were discussed for 29 minutes.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on the direct observation of Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Wednesday and rejected the Anti-Terrorism (Third Amendment) Bill, 2020 with majority vote, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 15, 2020: The Senate referred two FATF-related bills to the relevant committees and debated the motorway gang-rape incident, observes Free and Fair Election…