ISLAMABAD, February 15, 2017: The House of Federation transacted its entire business appeared on the Orders of the Day on Wednesday, while the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition remained absent during third consecutive day, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during third sitting of Senate’s 259th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 10 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for two hours while the remaining proceedings were chaired by the Deputy Chairman.
- The Leader of the House attended the proceedings for two hours and 30 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition and Prime Minister were not present.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, BNP-M, JUI-F, JI, PML-N, PML-F, MQM, PTI and ANP attended the sitting.
- Twenty-five (24% of the total membership – 104) lawmakers were present at the start and 13 (12%) at the end of sitting.
- One minority legislator attended the proceedings.
- Chairman, Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges presented reports on unequal distribution of funds in PSDP and conversion of building constructed for surgical ICU ward of Lady Reading Hospital Peshawar into offices.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs). The first CAN was about non-availability of life saving drugs while the second notice was related to the sale of PIA Airbus A-310 to a German firm in violation of PPRA rules.
- Eleven out of 42 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up and responded to by the relevant officials. In addition, lawmakers also asked 36 Supplementary Questions.
- The Chair rejected an Adjournment Motion (AM) for being in contravention with the rules while two other AMs were withdrawn by their respective movers.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers discussed 19 Points of Public Importance consuming 61 minutes of the proceedings.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The Senate on Thursday discussed the recent bomb attack on a religious school in Peshawar while leaving half of…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The Senate passed three private members’ bills on Monday and adopted a resolution to condemn comments of French President Emmanuel Macron…
ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed almost one third of the proceedings in points of public…