ISLAMABAD, June 12, 2017: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh resumed the general discussion on the Annual Budget 2017-18 with 18 lawmakers taking part in it on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fifth sitting of the 33rd session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for five hours and eight minutes.
- The sitting started at 1151 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for three hours and 32 minutes while rest of the proceedings was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) attended the sitting for four hours and 34 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 50 minutes.
- Fifty-nine (29%) members were present at outset while 52 (31%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F and PTI attended the sitting.
- Eight minority members were present.
- One member applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eighteen lawmakers belonging to PPPP (10), MQM (4), PML-N and PTI (two each) participated in the debate on Annual Budget 2017-18. The discussion continued for four hours and six minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- MQM lawmakers staged a protest followed by a token walkout for nine minutes against the refusal of the Chair to allow additional time to an opposition lawmaker.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 25, 2021: The Sindh Assembly’s 17th session was prorogued sine die on Monday without transacting any business, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, January 18, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh could not address most of its agenda on Monday due to the protest of treasury and…
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed two government bills and took up five Call Attention Notices (CANs) on Friday, observes Free…