ISLAMABAD, December 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh took up entire business appearing on its agenda on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daly Factsheet.
Following are the key observations of the House proceedings during 34th sitting of the sixth session:
- The House met for an hour and 35 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1506 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker remained present.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the proceedings.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for an hour and two minutes.
- As many as 31 MPAs (19%) were present at the outset and 46 (28%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, TLP and MMAP attended the proceedings.
- Seven out of nine minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The Minister for Information presented Audit Report on Car Parking Structure Lines Area, Karachi for Financial year 2015-16 which was referred to Public Accounts Committee.
- The Speaker announced Governor’s assent on the Provincial Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2019, the Sindh Institute of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2019, the Sindh Reproductive Healthcare Rights Bill, 2019 and the Sindh Charities Registration and Regulation Bill, 2019.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up all starred questions appearing on the list while the lawmakers asked 27 supplementary questions as well.
- The Ministers concerned responded to all five Call Attention Notices (CANs) appearing on agenda. The responded notices highlighted the issues related to investigation of incident of domestic violence in Dadu, government’s decision for privatization of Karachi Water and Sewerage Board, regularization of teaching staff of Sindh and Iqra Universities, dilapidated conditions of schools in Karachi and violations of Sindh Private Education Institutions (Regulation & Control) Rules, 2005 by private educational institutions.
- An Adjournment Motion appeared on agenda remained unaddressed due to mover’s absence.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on December 17, 2019 (Tuesday) at 1400 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The 9th session of Sindh Assembly was prorogued on Friday after two days debate on measures to tackle COVID-19, observes…
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business on Friday to express condolence over the demise of Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal Pakistan (MMAP) lawmaker…
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The Senate took up its entire agenda on Friday and adopted a supplementary resolution to condemn violation of human rights in…