ISLAMABAD, December 5, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh took up most of the agenda on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are the key observations of the House proceedings during 32nd sitting of the sixth session:
- The House met for two hours and 14 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1540 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 49 minutes while rest of the proceedings was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the proceedings.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 53 MPAs (32%) were present at the outset and 42 (25%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PTI, MQMP and TLP attended the proceedings.
- Five out of nine minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The Minister for Excise, Taxation and Narcotics Control moved the Sindh Advisors (Appointments, Powers, Functions, Salaries, Allowances and Privileges (Amendment) Bill, 2019 for consideration which was referred to the concerned standing committee.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Parliamentary Secretary on behalf of the Minister for Auqaf Department responded to five out of six starred questions while the lawmakers asked 18 supplementary questions as well.
- The Ministers concerned responded to all five Call Attention Notices (CANs) appearing on agenda. The responded notices highlighted the issues related to sewerage system in PS-122, Karachi, unavailability of dog bite vaccine in government hospital across province, disregarding rules in appointment of the Chairperson of the Sindh Healthcare Commission, issues related to drainage system and shortage of water in Labour Square, Karachi and encroachments in Baldia Town, Karachi.
- An Adjournment Motion remained unaddressed due to mover’s absence.
- The House deferred reconsideration of the Coastal Development Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2019 on Governor’s advice until next sitting.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on December 10, 2019 (Tuesday) at 1400 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, May 15, 2020: The 21st Session of National Assembly was prorogued on Friday after concluding debate on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 14, 2020: The requisitioned Session of Senate was prorogued on Thursday after two days debate on measures to tackle COVID-19, observes the Free…