ISLAMABAD, March 15, 2018: The National Assembly on Thursday transacted its entire agenda and passed a government bill related to power sector, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fifth sitting of the 54th session:
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 31 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1032 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and seven minutes while rest of the proceedings were chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for 27 minutes.
- As many as 26 (8%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 23 (7%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, QWP, JI, PkMAP and APML attended the sitting.
- Six minority lawmakers were also present.
- Tabled by State Minister for Power, the House passed the Regulation of Generation, Transmission and Distribution of Electric Power (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
- The House witnessed presentation of four periodical reports of Standing Committees on Communications, Cabinet Secretariat, Climate Change and Narcotics Control for the period July – December, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) regarding one-wheeling by the youngsters in the Federal Capital and advertisements to privatize huge Government assets.
- The House took up ten out of 43 starred questions for answers. In addition, lawmakers asked 23 supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on 24 points of orders consuming an hour and 13 minutes of the proceedings.
- The Opposition lawmakers staged a token walkout against privatization of Pakistan Steel Mills.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on Friday (March 16, 2018) at 1030 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, December 14, 2018: The National Assembly did not take up its scheduled business except a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) on Friday amid walkouts by…
ISLAMABAD, December 13, 2018: The National Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed on Thursday and discussed political and parliamentary issues amidst opposition’s walkout, says Free…
ISLAMABAD, December 12, 2018: The major portion of the National Assembly’s proceedings was consumed in debate on political issues raised through Points of Order on…