ISLAMABAD, June 21, 2016: The Punjab Assembly continued general discussion on the provincial budget 2016-17 during fifth sitting of the 22nd session on Tuesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for four hours and 50 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1035 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 48 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceedings.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for an hour and 15 minutes.
- The Finance Minister attended the sitting for two hours and nine minutes.
- Twenty-six lawmakers (7%) were present at the outset and six (1%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Six minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Thirty-nine lawmakers – PML-N (28), PTI (8), PML (2) and JI (one) – took part in the discussion on Annual Budget for the year 2016-17.
Order and Institutionalization
- The opposition parties staged a walkout for eight minutes against the decision of the Chair to not allow a PML lawmaker to continue her speech.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on members’ attendance is available on the Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 15th session was prorogued on Friday without taking up scheduled discussions on Kashmir issue, inflation and security situation, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…