ISLAMABAD, March 10, 2017: The Punjab Assembly did not transact any business except nine starred questions amid lack of quorum on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during fifth sitting of 27th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour hours and 47 minutes of which the proceedings remained suspended for 47 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1043 hours against the scheduled time 0900 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Six MPAs (1%) were present at outset and 52 (14%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- Three minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as seven out of 32 Starred Questions were responded to by the government during Question Hour while one was deferred and another disposed of due to absence of movers.
- The House did not hold the scheduled Pre-Budget discussion.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on three Points of Order consuming two minutes of the proceedings.
- Two lawmakers – PTI and Independent – pointed out quorum at 1053 hours and 1203 hours. On first instance, the proceedings were suspended for 47 minutes while on second occasion the quorum was completed on ringing the bells for five minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2017: The Punjab Assembly granted 90-day extension to three ordinances and passed five government bills on Wednesday, including the bills to grant…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2017: The Tuesday’s sitting of the Punjab Assembly could not proceed beyond 27 minutes due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2017: The Punjab Assembly could not take up the legislative business set for Monday’s sitting due to lack of quorum, observes Free…