ISLAMABAD, April 16 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh did not take up most of the Private Members’ Business on Tuesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daly Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 35th sitting of the fourth session:
- The House met for two hours and 34 minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for three minutes due to Azan break.
- The sitting started at 1525 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 19 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the sitting.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 28 minutes.
- As many as 71 lawmakers (42%) were present at commencement and 86 lawmakers (51%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, TLP, MMAP, PTI and MQMP attended the sitting.
- As many as seven out of nine minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The Sindh Assembly did not consider five private resolutions, two private members’ bill, five private motions and 26 proposed amendments in the Rules of Procedure of the Provincial Assembly of Sindh.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Minister for Livestock and Fisheries answered all four starred questions. In addition, the lawmaker asked 19 supplementary questions.
- The House rejected an Adjournment motion (AM) of PTI lawmaker regarding inactivity of the Sindh government departments towards completion of development schemes announced in fiscal year 2018-19. Earlier, the mover spoke on it for 18 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as three lawmakers spoke on Points of Order consuming 15 minutes of the proceedings.
- PPPP lawmakers protested on floor of the House for 44 minutes against the criticism of the Opposition Leader about formation of Standing Committees during his speech.
- MQMP, GDA and PTI lawmakers protested on floor of the House for two minutes against the decision of the speaker to rule out an AM moved by a PTI lawmaker.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on April 17, 2019 (Wednesday) at 1300 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, June 14, 2019: The Provincial Government presented the Sindh Finance Bill, 2019 in the Assembly amid protest by the Opposition lawmakers on Friday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, June 14, 2019: The National Assembly (NA) on Friday could not complete its one-point agenda due to the protests by lawmakers that prevented the Leader…
ISLAMABAD, June 14, 2019: The Provincial Minister for Finance presented the provincial budget 2019-20 in the House amid protest by the opposition during his speech on…