ISLAMABAD, June 01, 2013: The newly elected members of the 14th National Assembly took oath on Saturday in the maiden session called after the May 11 general elections, marking the first historic transition of power from one democratically elected government to another in the country’s history.
The Speaker of the outgoing assembly presided over the proceedings which started an hour and 55 minutes late. Simultaneously taking oath herself as a member, she administered the oath to members.
As many as 301 members took oath in the first sitting which met for two hours and 23 minutes. The oath was followed by the signing of ‘Roll of Members’. The Speaker also informed the house about the election of the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker, which will be held on Monday.
The house adjourned at 1418 hours to meet again on Monday, June 03, 2013 at 1100 hours.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 23 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1155 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1000 hours, witnessing the delay of an hour and 55 minutes.
- The Speaker of the outgoing assembly presided over the entire proceedings.
- As many as 300 members were present at the start while only 47 members were there at the time of adjournment.
- As many as 301 members, including nine minority members, took oath.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI); a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, April 20 2021: The National Assembly (NA) deferred private members’ business on Tuesday and considered a supplementary resolution seeking debate on the issue of…
ISLAMABAD, April 19, 2021: The National Assembly (NA) passed two government bills and discussed current law and order situation in the country, says Free and…
ISLAMABAD, April 16, 2021: The National Assembly (NA) transacted most of its agenda and consumed 75 percent of the proceedings in points of order related…