ISLAMABAD, May 5, 2016: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted two resolutions during first sitting of its 28th session on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 13 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1815 hours against scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- Nineteen (30%) lawmakers were present at the start and 30 (47%) at the time of adjournment of sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The post of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of Opposition attended the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PML-N, JUI, ANP and NP were present.
- One minority member attended the sitting.
- Seven members applied for leave.
- Tabled by ANP lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution urging the government to contact federal government for provision of funds to start construction of roads from Zoab to Mughal Kot. One member spoke on it for five minutes.
- Tabled by PkMAP lawmaker, the House adopted another resolution demanding the provincial government to arrange training seminars on drip irrigation process for local farmers to cater the shortage of water.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House deferred five starred questions appearing on the agenda due to absence of Education Minister.
- Submitted by JUI lawmaker, the House referred a Question of Privilege regarding misbehavior of SDO, Quetta with the mover to the Standing Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges. Four members spoke on it for eight minutes.
- An Adjournment Motion sponsored by the Opposition Leader regarding the route of China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) was approved for discussion in next sitting.
Order and Institutionalization
- Members spoke on two Points of Order consuming three minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceeding conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly deferred question hour due to ministerial absence and adopted three resolutions on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, August 9, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly passed two government bills and adopted a resolution on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, August 06, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly took up its entire agenda on Friday and adopted three resolutions, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…