ISLAMABAD, January 18, 2014: The Balochistan Assembly passed the Balochistan Breast Feeding Protection and Nutrition for Infants and Young Children Bill 2014 during the 3rd sitting of its 7th session on Saturday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the proceedings.
The House held general debate on law and order for three hours and 46 minutes (70 % of sitting time) that was participated by 20 legislators.
The House adopted two resolutions, demanding of the federal government to start news service in Balochi language at official news agency, Associated Press of Pakistan and provide sufficient funds for construction of dams in the province to ensure storage of flood water.
The House condemned the killing of three staff members of a private TV channel in Karachi yesterday and called for immediate arrest of the killers.
The House also elected two members – one each from PML-N and NP – for the syndicate of Balochistan University of Engineering and Technology, Khuzdar.
None of the Starred Questions (requiring oral as well as written replies) appearing on the agenda was taken up.
As many as 32 MPAs were present at the outset, while 20 were there at the adjournment of the sitting. The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for five hours and 24 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1129 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours, witnessing a delay of 29 minutes.
- Thirty-two members were present at the outset while 20 were there at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting for three hours and fifty minutes while the remaining proceedings were presided over by a member of panel of chairpersons.
- The Chief Minister attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and 29 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-Q, NP, JUI-F and MWM were present.
- Six members applied for leave.
- Two minority members were present during the sitting.
- The House passed the Balochistan Breast Feeding Protection and Nutrition for Infants and Young Children Bill 2014.
- The House also adopted two resolutions, demanding of the federal government to start Baloch language news service at official news agency, Associated Press of Pakistan and provide sufficient funds for construction of dams in the province to ensure storage of flood water.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Assembly had a general debate on law and order for three hours and 46 minutes. Twenty (20) legislators, including five each of JUI-F and PML-N, followed by PkMAP, NP (4 each), PML and MWM (one each) participated in the debate.
- None of the Starred Questions (requiring oral as well as written replies) appearing on the agenda was taken up.
- Minister for Finance laid National Finance Commission report in the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on ten points of order, consuming 31 minutes of the proceedings’ time.
- A JUI-F lawmaker pointed out quorum but it was found complete after counting.
- No instance of protest, walkout or boycott was witnessed during the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN.
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and issues related to law and order,…
ISLAMABAD, December 31, 2020: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly concluded on Thursday after comprehensive debate on provincial matters including fencing in Gwadar city and…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, December 3, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly did not take up its regular business on Thursday to express condolence over the sad demise…