ISLAMABAD, August 19, 2013: A draft of amendments in the rules of procedure was presented in the second sitting of the fifth session of Balochistan Assembly on Monday.
The draft of the proposed amendments under the 18th amendment in the House rules of procedure was presented by a PKMAP legislator.
However the House did not take up the Balochistan Local Government (amendment) Bill 2013.
The sitting, chaired by a member of the Panel of Chairpersons, was not attended by the Chief Minister. The Leader of the Opposition and the parliamentary leaders of PML-N, ANP, and PML attended the sitting.
Two Adjournment Motions on law and order were moved by the Leader of the Opposition and a PKMAP legislator. The motions will be discussed on the next sitting on August 24.
Most of the sitting time was taken up by 21 points of order consuming two hours and 25 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 35 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1630 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1600 hours, witnessing a delay of 30 minutes.
- A member of Panel of Chairperson chaired the sitting.
- A total of 26 Members were present at the beginning, 17 at the end and a maximum 26 at a point during the sitting.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present.
- PML-N, JUI, ANP, PML parliamentary leaders were present.
- Two minority Members were present.
- Seven Members applied for leave.
- A draft of proposed amendments under 18th amendment in Balcohistan Provincial Assembly Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business 1974 was presented in the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Members spoke for two hours and 25 minutes on 21 Point of Orders.
- Two MPAs – the Leader of the Opposition and a PKMAP MPA – moved two Adjournment Motions on law and order situation in the province, especially suicide blast in Civil Line Police Station. It took five minutes to move the motions. It was decided to hold discussion on the two motions on the next sitting on August 24.
- The Assembly documented the Members’ attendance.
- Information on Members’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN.
Session Prorogued after Quorum Pointed Out by Food Minister ISLAMABAD, February 28, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan addressed 25 percent of the scheduled business…
ISLAMABAD, February 27, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed on Thursday and was prorogued sine die over lack of quorum, observes Free…