ISLAMABAD, Feb 03: The fourth sitting of the Balochistan Assembly’s 30th session met for only 25 minutes. It witnessed low attendance as 22 Members were present at the outset and 13 when the sitting was adjourned. The Quorum, visibly lacking at various stages of the sitting, was not pointed out by any of the MPAs.
Eight Points of Order consumed the entire sitting time. However, none of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
Three BNPA Members and one Member each of the PML and PPPP boycotted the sitting against the killing of family members of Balochistan Assembly Legislator (PB-21 Sibi). This led to adjournment of the sitting.
The Chief Minster and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting. The parliamentary leader of the JUI (Ideological) attended the proceedings.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for 25 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1150 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1100 hours. The House proceedings started late by 50 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Chief Minster and the Leader of the Opposition were absent.
- Only the Parliamentary Leader of the JUI (Ideological) was present, while those of Like Minded Group, PML, ANP, BNPA, JUI, NP and PMLN were absent.
- Only 22 Members (34% of total Membership – 65) were present at the start and 13 (20%) when the sitting was adjourned.
- One minority Member was present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Three out of five questions on the agenda were taken up and responded by the relevant Ministry.
- No Bills appeared on the Orders of the Day.
Order and Institutionalization
- Eight Points of Order consumed the entire sitting time. However, none of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
- Three BNPA Members and one Member each of the PML and PPPP boycotted the sitting against the killing of family members of Balochistan Assembly Legislator (PB-21 Sibi). This led to the adjournment of the sitting.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- The Quorum, visibly lacking at various stages of the sitting, was not pointed by any of the Legislators.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development (CPD), a member organization of FAFEN
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
ISLAMABAD, February 27, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed on Thursday and was prorogued sine die over lack of quorum, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, February 24, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan discussed the government strategy to avoid the spread of Coronavirus in Pakistan and adopted a resolution…