ISLAMABAD, August 24, 2013: The Balochistan Assembly adopted a supplementary resolution calling upon the PIA to reduce airfares and resume the stalled flights to the province during the fourth sitting of the fifth session on Saturday. The resolution was moved by an NP legislator.
The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting for two hours and 36 minute. The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition as well as the parliamentary leaders of JUIF and PML attended the proceedings.
A PkMAP lawmaker moved an adjournment motion to discuss the incidents of violence after the August 22 by-elections leaving the party’s workers injured. The debate on the motion was put off till August 27.
The JUI-F legislators staged a 37-minute walkout after there was disagreement over offering Fateha for a JUI-F worker killed in electoral violence on August 22.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 36 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1200 hours, witnessing a delay of an hour against the scheduled start time of 1100 hours.
- A maximum 40 Members were present at the outset of the sitting and 32 at the end.
- The sitting was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of Opposition were present during the entire sitting.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of JUI and PML were present.
- Two Members applied for leave.
- Three Minority Members attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- An NP sponsored supplementary resolution calling on the government to take necessary measures to resume stalled PIA flights and reduce airfares, was adopted by the house.
- A PkMAP lawmaker moved an adjournment motion to discuss the recent attack on his party members after the August 22 by-elections. The debate on the motion was postponed till August 27.
Order and Institutionalization
- The JUI-F legislators staged a 37 minute-walkout when the government parties disrupted a fateha prayer for a JUIF member killed during the recent by-elections.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN.
ISLAMABAD, February 27, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed on Thursday and was prorogued sine die over lack of quorum, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, February 24, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan discussed the government strategy to avoid the spread of Coronavirus in Pakistan and adopted a resolution…
ISLAMABAD, February 21, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan took up entire Private Members' agenda and adopted four resolutions on Friday, observes Free and Fair…