ISLAMABAD, September 28, 2013: The second sitting of the Balochistan Assembly’s sixth session was adjourned for 18 minutes due to an earthquake, on Saturday.
The entire sitting was Chaired by the Speaker. The Chief Minister was absent while the Leader of the Opposition and the parliamentary leaders of JUIF and PkMAP were present.
Lawmakers spoke on 19 points of order for 51 minutes regarding the eradication of polio in the province and the relief and rehabilitation of the victims of the September 24 earthquake.
The House thanked the Punjab Chief Minister, the Federal Interior Minister and the Sindh Chief Minster for visiting district Awaran and other earthquake affected areas. The Speaker informed the House about China offering 1.5 million U.S. dollars and supplies worth 30 million yuan for relief assistance in the earthquake affected areas.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 48 minutes. The proceedings were adjourned for 18 minutes due to an earthquake.
- The sitting started at 1140 hours, witnessing a delay of 40 minutes against the scheduled start time of 1100 hours.
- A maximum 34 Members were present at the outset of the sitting and 18 at the end.
- The entire sitting was chaired by the Speaker. The Deputy Speaker was absent.
- The Chief Minister was absent while the Leader of the Opposition joined the proceedings.
- The parliamentary leaders of JUIF and PkMAP were present.
- None of the Members applied for leave.
- Three minority MPAs attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- There were eight questions on the agenda addressed to the Ministry of Education but the question hour was not held due to the absence of the relevant minister.
- The House thanked the Punjab Chief Minister, the Federal Interior Minister and the Sindh Chief Minster for visiting the visiting District Awaran and other earthquake affected areas.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on nineteen points of order for 51 minutes.
- No protests/boycotts /walkouts were recorded during the sitting.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN.
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly deferred question hour due to ministerial absence and adopted three resolutions on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, August 9, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly passed two government bills and adopted a resolution on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, August 06, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly took up its entire agenda on Friday and adopted three resolutions, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…