ISLAMABAD, April 30, 2014: The Balochistan Assembly adopted a resolution condemning unwarranted criticism on the important national and defense institutions, besides demanding transparent probe into the assassination attempt on senior anchorperson Hamid Mir during 5th sitting of its 9th session on Wednesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
While PML-N lawmaker was tabling the joint resolution, lawmakers of NP and PkMAP walked out from the House questioning the legality of Judicial Commission constituted to investigate the murder attempt on the senior anchorperson. However, the House adopted the resolution as all the 22 members present in the House favoured it.
The House offered Fateha for the martyred personnel of Pakistan Army in connection with Martyrs’ Day and for those who embraced martyrdom in Mastung on April 29, 2014.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for four hours and 13 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1647 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours, witnessing a delay of 47 minutes.
- The House had a prayer break of 25 minutes.
- Thirty-nine members were present at the outset while nine were there at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting for two hours while rest of the proceedings was chaired by a member of panel of chairpersons.
- The Chief Minister was not present while the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of MWM, PML, ANP, JUI-F and PkMAP were present.
- None of the members applied for leave.
- Two minority members were present during the sitting.
- Jointly tabled by PML and PML-N lawmakers, the House adopted a resolution condemning unwarranted criticism on the important national and defense institutions and demanded transparent investigation into the assassination attempt on journalist Hamid Mir.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House held general discussion on government priorities with regard to education in the proposed budget 2014-15 which was participated by three lawmakers.
- Two PkMAP lawmakers spoke for 53 minutes while a lawmaker from JUI-F took part in debate for 22 minutes.
- The House took up two of the four starred questions (requiring oral as well as written replies). No supplementary question was asked.
- The House took an adjournment motion moved by PML-N legislator regarding electricity load-shedding in the province and disconnection of power supply to water supply schemes. Provincial Minister for Law responded to it.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on seven points of order consuming 35 minutes of the proceedings.
- Lawmakers of NP and PkMAP walked out from the House for an hour and nine minutes, questioning the legality of Judicial Commission constituted to investigate the murder attempt on senior anchor.
- The sitting was adjourned due to lack of quorum pointed out by JUI-F lawmaker.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, December 3, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly adopted two resolutions on Friday and consumed 30 percent of its proceedings in points of order,…
ISLAMABAD, November 30, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly deferred question hour due to ministerial absence and adopted two resolutions on Tuesday, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, November 27, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly took up entire agenda and passed two government bills on Saturday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…