ISLAMABAD, May 2, 2014: The Balochistan Assembly discussed prevailing law and order in the province with a focus to introducing reforms in the Levies force during last and 6th sitting of its 9th session on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Nineteen lawmakers – PML-N (6), PkMAP, NP, JUI-F (4 each) and one legislator of ANP- took part in the debate which continued for three hours and 20 minutes.
Provincial Minister for Law tabled Auditor General’s reports of audit for the year 2012-13.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for five hours and 26 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1654 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours, witnessing a delay of 54 minutes.
- The House had a prayer break of 70 minutes.
- Thirty-five members were present at the outset while nine were there at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of NP and PkMAP were present.
- Five members applied for leave.
- Two minority members were present during the sitting.
- Provincial Minister for Law tabled Auditor General’s reports of audit for the year 2012-13.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House clubbed three adjournment motions together to hold debate on prevailing law and order in the province.
- Nineteen lawmakers – PML-N (6), PkMAP, NP, JUI-F (4 each) and one legislator of ANP- took part in the debate which continued for three hours and 20 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on five points of order consuming 10 minutes of the proceedings.
- A female lawmaker pointed out quorum once and twice by PML-N lawmakers but the proceedings continued with the consent of the Chair.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, December 3, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly did not take up its regular business on Thursday to express condolence over the sad demise…
ISLAMABAD, November 30, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan met for only four minutes on Monday as the Speaker adjourned the sitting due to low…
ISLAMABAD, November 27, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly on Friday adopted five private members’ resolutions and discussed an adjournment motion related to murder of a political…