ISLAMABAD, May 13, 2017: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan suspended Private Members’ Business on Saturday to discuses an Adjournment Motion to condemn terrorist attack in Mastung, Balochistan, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during second sitting of the Assembly’s 40th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for three hours and 39 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1701 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The sitting remained suspended for 17 minutes due to payers.
- A member of Panel of Chairpersons chaired entire sitting while the Speaker was absent.
- The post of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the proceedings.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended proceedings for two hours and two minutes.
- Sixteen lawmakers (25%) were present at the outset and 10 (15%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of NP, PML, ANP, MWM, JUI-F and PkMAP were present.
- Two minority member attended the sitting.
- Five members applied for leave.
- The House did not take up any agenda appearing on Orders of the Day including three resolutions, two committee reports and a Call Attention Notice.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House discussed an Adjournment Motion to condemn suicide attack on Secretary General of JUI-F and the Deputy Chairman of Senate Abdul Gafoor Haideri in Mastung on Friday. Fifteen lawmakers took part in the discussion for two hours and 48 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on two Points of Order consuming as many minutes of the proceedings.
- The Opposition lawmakers walked out of the House four minute before the adjournment against the decision of government for not converting the Adjournment Motion into a resolution.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan held pre-budget debate and allocation of funds for development schemes to non-elected persons in constituencies of opposition…
ISLAMABAD, June 3, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan deferred question hour and four calling attention notices (CANs) due to absence of relevant ministers, says…
ISLAMABAD, May 31, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed four government bills and deferred question hour due to absence of relevant minister, says Free…