ISLAMABAD, June 14, 2012: On the first day of general discussion on the budget in the Balochistan Assembly, 30 legislators were present in the House at the start of the sitting and 19 when it was adjourned on Thursday.
Four Members – two BNPA and one each of PML and PPPP – spoke on the budget for 40 minutes (50% of the sitting time).
The Chief Minister attended the sitting for 45 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 20 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1525 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1500 hours. The proceedings started 25 minutes late.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Chief Minister attended the sitting for 45 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of the ANP, BNPA, JUI, NP, PMLN, PML and PPPP were present.
- Thirty Members (46% of the total Membership of 369) were present at the start while 19 (29%) were there when the sitting was adjourned. A maximum of 38 (58%) were present at one point of the sitting.
- Two minority Members were present.
- Four Members applied for leave to be absent.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Four Members – two BNPA and one each of PML and PPPP – spoke on the budget for 40 minutes (50% of the sitting time).
- There was no other formal agenda on the Orders of the Day.
Order and Institutionalization
- No Points of Order was raised during the sitting.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts.
- Orders of the Day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed law and order, increase in prices of petroleum products and challenges after drought in…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 19, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan consumed major part of the proceeding in points of order and deferred question hour…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 04, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three private members' resolutions and deferred one-third agenda due to ministerial absence, says…