ISLAMABAD, February 28, 2014: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution during 6th sitting of its 10th session on Friday to award oil and gas contracts in Kohat to local firms instead of foreign companies, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Tabled by PPPP female legislators, the resolution was debated by nine lawmakers belonging to PPPP (2) and one each by PML-N, AJIP, PTI, JI, QWP, JUI-F and ANP.
The House held debate on the constitution of Zakat Committees for an hour and 30 minutes in which 13 lawmakers took part. Four legislators belonging to JUI-F followed by PML-N, ANP & JI (2 each) and one each from PPPP, QWP and PTI participated in the debate.
Thirty-two members were present at the outset, 37 at the adjournment while maximum 56 at a point during the proceedings. The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 25 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- The KP Assembly met for four hours and 31 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1540 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours, witnessing a delay of 40 minutes.
- The House had two prayer breaks for an hour.
- Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 25 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of AJIP, PPPP, PML-N and ANP attended the proceedings.
- Thirty-two members were present at the outset, 37 at the adjournment and maximum 56 at a point during the proceedings.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- Five members applied for leave.
- Tabled by female legislator of PPPP, the House unanimously adopted a resolution to award oil and gas contracts in Kohat to local firms instead of foreign companies.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House held debate on the constitution of Zakat Committees for an hour and 30 minutes which was participated by 13 lawmakers.
- Four lawmakers from JUI-F followed by PML-N, ANP & JI (2 each) and one each from PPPP, QWP, PTI took part in the debate.
- The House took up a privilege motion of two PML-N members about a news item published in a section of press attributed to them for supporting a forward block within the party. The Chair referred the matter to relevant committee.
- Four out of 19 starred questions (requiring written as well as oral answers) on the Orders of the Day were taken up and responded to by relevant ministries. Additionally, members asked five supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on two points of order for 30 minutes.
- The proceedings were adjourned for two minutes due to lack of quorum. The Chair ordered for the bells to be rung and proceedings resumed when the quorum was found complete.
- No instance of protest, walkout or boycott was witnessed during the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of KP Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN, a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) took up entire agenda and adopted two resolutions on Monday, observes Fee and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) took up its entire agenda and adopted four resolutions on Friday, observes Fee and…
ISLAMABAD, September 14, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted entire agenda and discussed an adjournment motion about impact of Afghanistan situation on…