ISLAMABAD, May 25, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) adopted seven supplementary resolutions and discussed matters related to Chashma Right Bank Canal, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Tuesday.
Following are the key observations of the House proceedings during the second sitting of the 18th session:
- The House met for four hours and 15 minutes while the sitting remained suspended for 15 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 02:50 pm against the scheduled time of 02:00 pm.
- The speaker chaired the sitting for two hours and ten minutes while the deputy speaker presided over the rest of the proceedings.
- The leader of the opposition attended the entire sitting, while the leader of the house (chief minister) was absent.
- As many as 40 (28 percent) legislators were present at the start and 35 (24 percent) at the end of the sitting.
- Three out of four minority members were present.
- The parliamentary leaders of ANP and MMAP attended the sitting.
- The House adopted seven supplementary resolutions urging provincial and federal governments to talk with Saudi Arab’s authority for renewal of visas of Pakistanis workers, completion of recruitment of staff in Peshawar Electric Supply Company (PESCO), inclusion of deputy commissioner and divisional commissioner’s staff in Provincial Management Service (PMS, provision of safety equipment to frontline health workers, to increase National Finance Commission (NFC) Award for KP, regularization of teachers appointed after 2018 till date and allocation of debt on low interest to women.
- The House deferred a supplementary resolution regarding allocation of 25 percent women quota in women based industries under China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up all (five) starred questions while lawmakers asked four supplementary questions as well.
- Sponsored by a MMAP lawmaker, the House admitted an adjournment motion regarding formation of a commission to investigate Tehsil Municipal Administration’s (TMA) construction work in Bannu.
- The Minister for revenue responded a calling attention notice (CAN) regarding Revenue Department’s control on public lands in Chitral, Lower Dir and Upper Dir districts.
- On the request of the relevant mover, the House deferred another CAN regrading non-increase in the government employees’ salaries by the Provincial Government.
- The house held a discussion on Chashma Right Bank Canal. As many as five lawmakers – two each of PPPP and MMAP and one from ANP – spoke on it for an hour and five minutes
Order and Institutionalization
- The entire opposition protested for an hour and 30 minutes on the non-implementation of constitution’s 25th amendment regarding allocation of funds for newly merged districts in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on Friday, May 28, 2021 at 10:00 am.
- ‘List of Business’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on the observation of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly proceedings conducted online by United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Sindh Assembly transacted entire agenda and referred two bills to the relevant committee for deliberation, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and Fair Election Network…