ISLAMABAD, May 2, 2016: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly deferred two bills appearing on the list of business on Monday during second sitting of its 17th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The sitting started 11 minutes late with 35 legislators (28%) present at the start and 55 (44%) at the time of adjournment. The Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader attended the entire sitting.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceeding
- The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly met for 91 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1511 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- 35 lawmakers (28%) were present at the outset while 55 (44%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of all political parties in the House were present.
- Two minority members were present.
- Ten members applied for leave.
- The Chair deferred the two bills for further consideration on it which included the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Censorship of Motion Pictures (Films, CDs, Videos, Stage Dramas and Shows) Bill, 2016 and the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Foundation Bill, 2016
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five out of 10 starred questions appearing on agenda were taken up and responded to by the relevant ministries/departments. In addition, the legislators raised three supplementary questions during the sitting.
- Two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) about special compensation allowance for government servants and introduction of solar farming system in the province were taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two Points of Order consumed ten minutes of the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceeding conducted by United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
ISLAMABAD, March 2, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa held first reading of a government bill that seeks to manage and regulate the water resources…
ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) was adjourned early on Tuesday without addressing questions and Call Attention Notices included in the…