ISLAMABAD, April 29, 2016: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly on Friday paid tribute to one of its minority lawmaker Sardar Soran Singh who was gunned down on April 22 in Buner, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The sitting started 28 minutes late with 36 legislators (29%) present at the start and 35 (28%) at the time of adjournment. The Leader of the House attended the sitting while the Opposition Leader was not present.
Fourteen lawmakers – PTI (5), JUI-F (3), PPPP, JI (2 each), PML-N and QWP (one each) – paid tributes to Ex-Special Assistant to Chief Minister for Minorities Affairs Sardar Soran Singh and spoke for 66 minutes. The Chief Minister also condoled his death and spoke for five minutes.
The House observed a silence for one minute to express sorrow on his death.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceeding
- The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly met for 90 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1528 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Chief Minister attended the sitting for 28 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was absent.
- 36 lawmakers (29%) were present at the outset while 35 (28%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N and JI were present.
- One minority member was present.
- Seventeen members applied for leave.
- The House adopted a resolution demanding the provincial government to ensure welfare steps for the family of Late Sardar Soran Singh.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceeding conducted by Untied Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, November 13, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills amid protest by the opposition, observes Free and Fair Election…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 14, 2019: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly addressed most of its agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers on Monday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, October 4, 2019: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly passed three government bills amid protest by the opposition during proceedings of the House, observes Free…