ISLAMABAD, January 10, 2014: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution during fourth sitting of its 9th session, urging the federal government to take along its MPs and initiate dialogue with Saudi government regarding the status of Pakistani expatriates and the problems being faced by them.
Tabled by JI legislator, the House unanimously adopted the resolution which was debated for 25 minutes and six legislators took part in it.
Two calling attention notices were not taken up that were related to the devastation caused by the 2010 floods in Swat and the law and order situation in the province.
The House witnessed low attendance as 45 members were present at the beginning while 13 were there at the adjournment. A maximum of 56 members were observed to be present at a point during the sitting.
As there were only thirteen members present in the House after the prayer break, a female PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum. The Speaker adjourned the proceedings till Monday (January 13) when the quorum was found lacking, after bells were rung for two minutes.
Nine of 20 Starred Questions appearing on the Orders of the Day were taken up by the House and subsequently responded to by the relevant ministers. Additionally, four supplementary questions were asked from the relevant ministries.
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- The KP Assembly met for two hours and five minutes.
- The sitting started at 1615 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours, witnessing a delay of an hour and 15 minutes.
- The House took prayer break for 50 minutes.
- Speaker chaired the entire proceedings.
- Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition remained away from the sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of QWP, PPPP, JUI-F, AJIP were present.
- Forty-five members were present at the beginning while 13 were there at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 56 members were observed to be present at a point during sitting.
- After a PPPP female legislator pointed out lack of quorum, the Speaker called for the assembly bells to be rung for two minutes. Later, the proceedings were adjourned till January 13 (Monday) as quorum was found incomplete after a recount.
- A single minority member attended the sitting.
- Nine members applied for leave.
- Tabled by JI legislator, the KP Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution, urging the government to take along KP legislators and initiate a dialogue with Saudi government regarding the problems being faced by the Pakistani expatriates in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).
Representation and Responsiveness
- Nine of 20 Starred Questions appearing on the Orders of the Day were taken up by the House and subsequently responded to by the relevant ministers. Additionally, four supplementary questions were asked from the relevant ministries.
- Two calling attention notices regarding devastation caused by 2010 floods in Swat and law and order situation in the province were not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two points of order were raised during the sitting, consuming 16 minutes of the sitting.
- No instances of walkouts, boycotts or protests were witnessed.
- A PPPP female member pointed out quorum. After the bells rung and recount done, the sitting was adjourned till Monday (January 13).
· ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
· Information on members’ attendance was not available to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of KP Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN, a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) took up entire agenda and adopted two resolutions on Monday, observes Fee and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) took up its entire agenda and adopted four resolutions on Friday, observes Fee and…
ISLAMABAD, September 14, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted entire agenda and discussed an adjournment motion about impact of Afghanistan situation on…