ISLAMABAD, September 10, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) left 90 percent agenda unaddressed on Friday due to protest of lawmakers belonging to merged tribal districts, observes Fee and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the 11th sitting of 20th session:
- The House met for an hour and 28 minutes.
- The sitting started at 11:02 am against the scheduled time of 10:00 am.
- The speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The deputy speaker was also present.
- The leaders of the House (Chief Minister) and the opposition were absent.
- As many as 48 MPAs (33 percent) were present at the outset and 54 (37 percent) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of ANP, PPPP, BAP, MMAP and PML attended the proceedings.
- Three out of four minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House did not consider four government bills appearing on the agenda. These bills were the KP Factories (Amendment) Bill, 2021; the KP (Regularization of Services of Employees of Erstwhile Federally Administered Tribal Areas) Bill, 2021; the West Pakistan Motor Vehicles Taxation (Amendment) Bill, 2021 and the KP Universities (Second Amendment) Bill, 2021.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up eight out of ten starred questions, while the lawmakers asked four supplementary questions.
- Two calling attention notices and as many adjournment motions on the agenda remained unaddressed.
Order and Institutionalization
- Six lawmakers spoke on points of order for 22 minutes and paid tributes to veteran journalist Rahimullah Yusufzai who passed away last day due to cancer.
- Lawmakers belonging to merged districts of KP and BAP protested for 15 minutes when the government opposed an adjournment motion regarding violation of quota during induction in health department against 481 seats.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on Monday, September 13, 2021 at 02:00 pm.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available for the legislators, observers and the media.
- Attendance of the lawmakers was not available for the observers and the media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceedings conducted by the United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted
ISLAMABAD, October 15, 2021: The National Assembly was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and…
ISLAMABAD, October 14, 2021: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Thursday paying tributes to late nuclear scientist Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, October 4, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted entire agenda on Monday in the absence of leaders of the House and…