ISLAMABAD, April 13, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted 80% of its agenda and adjourned due to lack of quorum, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Tuesday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 4th sitting of the 17th session:
- The House met for two hours and seven minutes.
- The sitting started at 02:38 pm against the scheduled time of 02:00 pm.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Leaders of the House (Chief Minister) and the Opposition were absent.
- As many as 40 (28%) legislators were present at the start and 25 (24%) at the end of the sitting.
- Half of the minority members (two) were present.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
The House did not take up the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Letters of Administration and Succession Certificates bill, 2021.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Moved by an ANP lawmaker, the House took up a Privilege Motion against Ex-Town Municipal Officer for not including the development schemes identified by the lawmaker in the development plan for Town-4 Peshawar. The matter was referred to the relevant committee.
- The Chair admitted an Adjournment Motion for debate regarding prevalence of criminal practice of Sawara in Khawaza Khela tehsil of Swat district.
- Sponsored by a female lawmaker of MMPA, the House deferred a Calling Attention Notice (CANs) concerning illegal changing in date of birth of a serving member of the public service commission. Another CAN regarding provision of government jobs to Shangla’s coal miners and bearing educational expenses of their children was not taken up by the house.
- The House took up seven out of nine starred questions while lawmakers asked six supplementary questions as well.
Order and Institutionalization
- An ANP lawmaker pointed out quorum at 04:42 pm, following which the speaker ordered to ring bells for two minutes. The quorum was found incomplete upon counting and the House was adjourned to meet again on April 16 (Friday), 2021 at 2:00 pm.
- ‘List of Business’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on the observation of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly proceedings conducted online by United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, May 17, 2021: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday condemning Israeli atrocities against the people of Palestine, says Free and Fair…
Calls for a broader public debate and political discourse on the meaningful electoral reforms to enhance representation and inclusivity ISLAMABAD, May 11, 2021: The Free…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed two government bills and concluded pre-budget discussion, observes Free and Fair Election Network…