ISLAMABAD, July 8, 2021: The National Assembly left 90 percent of its agenda unaddressed on Thursday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during first sitting of the 35th session:
- The National Assembly met for 49 minutes.
- The sitting started at 05:22 pm against the scheduled time of 04:30 pm.
- The speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The deputy speaker did not attend the sitting.
- The leaders of the house (Prime Minister) and the opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 68 (20 percent) lawmakers were present at the outset and 56 (16 percent) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JWP, PML-N and MMAP attended the sitting.
- Five minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not consider two government bills and as many resolutions seeking extension of ordinances and a motion to refer a bill to Islamic Council for advice under article 229 of the Constitution.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Parliamentary Secretary for Federal Education and Professional Training responded to a calling attention notice (CAN) regarding announcement to take intermediate examinations on short notice without completing the syllabus.
- The House did not take up a CAN and a motion of thanks to the President.
Order and Institutionalization
- Four lawmakers spoke on points of order for ten minutes related to protest of journalists from press gallery, law and order situation in merged districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, honorarium to federal government employees who performed duties during the budget session and Pakistanis stranded at Afghan border.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 06:07 pm following which the Chair directed for counting. The quorum was found incomplete and the House was adjourned to meet again on Friday, July 9, 2021 at 11:00 am.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) took up entire agenda and adopted two resolutions on Monday, observes Fee and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2021: The National Assembly left 95 percent agenda unaddressed on Monday amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and the Opposition,…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2021: The Sindh Assembly took up entire agenda and adopted one resolution on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…