ISLAMABAD, October 15, 2012: Starting 30 minutes behind schedule the fourth sitting of the 47th session witnessed low attendance of members as 28 were present at start and 30 were there at the adjournment.
The speaker, the deputy speaker, the leader of the opposition and all the parliamentary leaders did not attend the sitting. A member of panel of chairpersons chaired the sitting.
A calling attention notice regarding non-reduction of the fare of transport in Islamabad despite decrease in the prices of CNG was not taken up by the House.
Six out of 52 questions appearing on the agenda were taken up and responded to by the relevant minister. Additionally, 18 supplementary questions were also asked. No points of order were raised during the sitting.
Members’ participation in house proceedings
- The national assembly met for an hour and 35 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1130 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1100 hours. The proceedings started 30 minutes late.
- A member of panel of chairpersons chaired the sitting while the speaker and the deputy speaker did not attend the sitting.
- The prime minister attended the sitting for 25 minutes while the leader of the opposition was absent.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- The chief whips of PPPP, PMLN and ANP were present.
- Twenty-eight (8%) members were present at the outset while there were 30 (9%) at the end of the sitting. A maximum of 100 members were present at one point of the sitting.
- Four minority members attended the sitting.
- Eleven members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- A calling attention notice about collection, revision and cut in tax target was taken up by the house. However another calling attention notice regarding non-reduction of the fare of transport in Islamabad despite decrease in the prices of CNG was not taken up by the House.
- Six out of 52 questions appearing on the agenda were taken up and responded to by the relevant minister. Additionally, 18 supplementary questions were also asked.
- The house did not take up the motion under rule 259 about law and order in the country for further discussion.
- Three standing committee reports on bills – the Maritime Security Agency (Amendment) Bill 2012, the Validation Bill 2012 and the Trade Organizations Bill 2012 were presented in the House.
- The Gwadar Port Authority Bill 2012 was not taken up by the House.
Order and institutionalization
- No points of order were raised during the sitting.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts.
- Orders of the day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI), a Member organization of FAFEN.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The National Assembly passed two government bills and adopted three resolutions to extend the timeline of as many ordinances, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 28, 2020: The National Assembly left 98 percent of its agenda unaddressed on Wednesday due to the opposition’s protests, walkouts and quorum issue, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday, condemning blasphemous caricatures as well as French President Emmanuel Macron’s hateful comments…