ISLAMABAD, January 20, 2012: The Sindh Assembly met for an hour and 40 minutes on Friday, its 16th sitting of the ongoing session.
Out of the 10 questions listed for the Question Hour, five were put up and responded to by relevant ministries. Twenty-five supplementary questions were asked.
Fifty Members (30% of total Membership) were present at the start and 76 (46%) when the sitting was adjourned.
Only the Parliamentary Leaders of ANP and NPP attended the sitting
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for an hour and 40 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1130 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1000 hours. The proceedings started an hour and 20 minutes late.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting.
- The Chief Minister was not present. The Parliamentary Leaders of ANP and NPP attended the sitting while those of the PML (forward block), MQM, PMLF, PPPP, and PML were absent.
- Fifty Members (30% of total Membership) were present at the start and 76 (46%) when the sitting was adjourned.
- Three minority Members were present during the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Out of the 10 questions listed for the Question Hour, five were put up and responded to by relevant ministries.
- Twenty-five supplementary questions were asked.
- Two Bills – the Indus University Bill, 2011 and the Establishment of the Office of Ombudsman for the Province Of Sindh (Amendment) Bill, 2012 – were not taken up by the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- Ten Points of Order consumed 20 minutes of sitting time. However, none of them attracted formal ruling of the Chair.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
|After successfully observing proceedings of the National Assembly, the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) has started the observation of the provincial assemblies – Sindh, Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan – and the Senate.This daily factsheet is based on FAFEN’s direct observation of the 16th sitting of the 32nd session of the Sindh Assembly.These reports are released on the day the sittings are held to provide media and other interested stakeholders vital statistics about the Assembly proceedings to encourage informed public discourse on its performance.|
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, December 4, 2020: The Sindh Assembly did not take up its regular business on Friday to express condolence over the demise of…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 21, 2020: The Sindh Assembly adopted a resolution on Wednesday condemning the Pakistan Islands Development Authority Ordinance and demanded the federal…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 24, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted its entire agenda and passed the Sindh Finance (Amendment) Bill, 2020 on Monday, observes…