ISLAMABAD, September 9, 2014: Starting 21 minutes behind the schedule, the sixth sitting of the ongoing Joint Session of the Parliament on Tuesday continued to witness low MPs attendance as 63 legislators were present at outset while 136 at the adjournment of the sitting, says the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Four legislators – one each from ANP, PkMAP, PML-F and BNP-A – spoke for an hour and 32 minutes on a motion under Rule 259 regarding the prevailing political situation.
Ten Points of Order consumed 41 minutes of the sitting time. However, none of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling. The Federal Minister for Water and Power spoke on a Point of Order for 27 minutes to brief the House regarding the flood situation in the country.
The Prime Minister attended the sitting for 122 minutes while, his counterpart, the Leader of the Opposition was there for 136 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The joint sitting lasted two hours and 24 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1121 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours, witnessing a delay of 21 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting. The Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Prime Minister attended the sitting for 122 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition in NA was there for 136 minutes. The Leader of the House in Senate attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition in Senate remained present for 44 minutes.
- Sixty-three legislators (14% of the total membership of 446 – 342 in NA and 104 in Senate) were present at the outset of the sitting while 136 (30%) at the adjournment. A maximum of 178 members (40%) were observed to be present at one point during the sitting.
- The NA parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, ANP, JI, QWP, APML and PML-Z attended the sitting. Similarly, Senate’s parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, ANP, BNP-A and PML-F were also present.
- No bills appeared on the Orders of the Day.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Four legislators – one each from ANP, PkMAP, PMLF and BNPA – spoke for an hour and 32 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Ten Points of Order consumed 41 minutes of the sitting time. However, none of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
- The Federal Minister for Water and Power spoke on a Point of Order for 27 minutes to brief the House regarding the flood situation in the country.
- There were no instances of protest, boycott or walkout.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
This publication has been prepared with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Parliament proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI); a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 24, 2021: The National Assembly continued general discussion on the federal budget for the financial year 2021-22 and 33 lawmakers took part in…
ISLAMABAD, June 23, 2021: The National Assembly continued general discussion on the federal budget for the year 2021-22 and 46 lawmakers took part in the…
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The National Assembly continued debate on the federal budget 2021-22 and consumed 95 percent of proceedings’ time on it, observes Free…