ISLAMABAD, October 31, 2018: The National Assembly continued the debate on country’s economic situation on Wednesday, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during third sitting of fourth session:
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 13 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1141 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 54 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the sitting.
- The Leader of House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 26 minutes. He was released from National Accountability Bureau’s custody to attend the sitting on production orders issued by the Speaker.
- As many as 55 lawmakers (16%) were present at outset and 70 (20%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, GDA, MMAP, PPPP, JWP and PML attended the sitting.
- As many as five out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as two lawmakers – one each of PPPP and PTI – participated in the debate on the motion under Rule 259 regarding economic condition of the country. The debate continued for 24 minutes.
- The House did not take up two Calling Attention Notices appearing on the agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as four lawmakers including the Leader of the Opposition raised points of order consuming an hour and 28 minutes.
- As many as two lawmakers – one each from PTI and PML-N – spoke on points of personal explanation consuming 18 minutes.
- The lawmakers belonging to MMAP staged a walkout from the proceedings at 1446 hours against unsatisfactory reply by the government about reported landing of an Israeli flight at Islamabad International Airport. They did not return to the House till adjournment of the sitting.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on November 1, 2018 (Thursday) at 1100 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The National Assembly passed two government bills and adopted three resolutions to extend the timeline of as many ordinances, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 28, 2020: The National Assembly left 98 percent of its agenda unaddressed on Wednesday due to the opposition’s protests, walkouts and quorum issue, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday, condemning blasphemous caricatures as well as French President Emmanuel Macron’s hateful comments…