ISLAMABAD, February 1, 2021: The National Assembly left 42 percent of its agenda unaddressed and passed three government bills amid protest by the opposition lawmakers, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Monday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fifth sitting of the 28th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 33 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1717 hours against the scheduled time of 1700 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting
- The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 43 (13%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 97 (28%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MMAP and BAP attended the sitting.
- Six minority lawmakers were present.
- The House passed three government bills including the China Pakistan Economic Corridor Authority Bill, 2020, the Public Private Partnership Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2020 and the Pakistan Single Window Bill, 2020.
- Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs introduced two government bills which were referred to the relevant committee for consideration. These bills were the National Metrology Institute of Pakistan Bill, 2021 and the Pakistan Ordnance Factories Board (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs also laid the Federal Medical Teaching Institutes Ordinance, 2020; the Anti-Rape (Investigation and Trial) Ordinance, 2020 and an authenticated copy of the Address of the President to the Parliament assembled together on August 20, 2020. Later, he also moved a motion of thanks to the President.
- The House did not take up seven periodical reports, an adjournment motion and a Calling Attention Notice (CAN).
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Chair deferred a CAN on the request of relevant minister which was regarding subletting of government houses by allottees in sectors G-6, G-7 and G-8, Islamabad.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PTI lawmaker spoke on point of order for three minutes.
- The House was adjourned the meet again on February 2, 2021 (Tuesday) at 1600 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Sindh Assembly transacted entire agenda and referred two bills to the relevant committee for deliberation, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and Fair Election Network…